To promote black students’ success at U.C. Berkeley and generations of lifting while we climb
- Create a powerful group that will provide feedback and accountability to the campus on behalf of black students at UC Berkeley
- Raise funds to provide scholarships for black students.
- U.C.B admitted 401 black freshmen this year (UCLA admitted 624)
- Black students feel disrespected twice as often as whites, Asian and others.
- The University lost its outstanding Provost, Claude Steele.
- UCB has the highest number of black female full professors in its history.
- Equity & InclusionVice Chancellor Na’ilah Nasir enjoys broad support and admiration
- The twenty black scholarship students have a 3.3 GPA (vs. 2.9 for all black students).
- The Black Recruitment & Retention Center is the strongest it has been in ten years.
Cal Black Alumni can have a powerful voice, advocating for black students’ access and success.
Roy Thomas & Barbara Christian Fund
Black Freshmen and Transfer receive scholarships to be renewed for four years, which reduce their need to work and take on excessive loans. The goal is to gain entrance to a top graduate school and become part of the heritage of giving back to future generations. Students
- Maintain a minimum 3.3 GPA
- EOP Advisor approve all classes
- Meet regularly with a U.C. Black staff or faculty mentor
Please contribute via credit card “Donate Now” or check to: Stiles Hall-Roy Thomas and Barbara Christian Fund, 2400 Bancroft Way Berkeley, CA 94704.
Board of Directors
Dan Boggan, President
CA Endowment Board, past NCAA VP, Vice Chancellor of Business
Mike Williams, Vice President
Foundation Trustee, past Vice Chair Barclays Global
Assoc. Professor Education, African American Studies Chair
Partner Oak Hill Capital, past VP Morgan Stanley Capital
Deputy Vice President Student Affairs – Office of the President, University of California
Partner Reed Smith, Chair Level Playing Field Board
Partner Meyers Nave, California Fair Political Practices ≠Commission
Exec Dir Undergrad Haas School of Business, past Operations Mngr, INROADS
Black Recruitment & Retention Center Director, American Studies Major
Executive Director Centers for Educational Equity and Excellence
Lisa Garcia Bedolla
Chancellor’s Professor of Education
Jose Luis Lopez
Gunderson Dettmer LLP, co-president & Editor-in-Chief of the California Law Review
Executive Director Incentive Awards Program
Native American Student Development Coordinator
Legal Studies Major, Incentive Awards Scholar
U.S. District Court Judge
Seattle Seahawks running back; Golden Bear’s second all-time career rusher
Congresswoman, past CBC Progressive Caucus Chair
Prof Education NYU, past UCB Director Institute for the Study of Social Change
Vice Chancellor Equity & Inclusion, Professor Astrophysics
Prof African American Studies, past president National Council for Black Studies
Partner Deloitte, past Director National Association of Black Accountants
Executive VP & CFO Textainer, past VP Agilent Technologies
Associate, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, LLP
Graduate Student, Cultural Studies of Sport in Education, three children at Cal
San Jose Unified School District, Office of Superintendent
Nominated Ambassador to Mexico, former White House Chief of Staff Deputy Director
Assoc. Dean & Professor Social Welfare, Vice Chair Trustees San Francisco Foundation
Professor English, former Vice Chancellor Student Affairs
Board President Peralta Community College District, Vice President Municipal Finance Firm
Deputy Public Defender at Solano County