California Heritage Fund
To promote black students’ success at U.C. Berkeley and generations of lifting while we climb
- Create a powerful group that will provide feedback and accountability to the campus on behalf of black students at UC Berkeley
- Raise funds to provide scholarships for black students.
- 257 black freshmen enrolled in 1997, 167 enrolled this year.
- Black students feel disrespected twice as often as whites, Asian and others.
- The University lost its outstanding black Director of Admissions last Fall.
- Chancellor Birgeneau, a national leader for educational access, is retiring in December.
- Cal has the highest number of black Vice Chancellors and tenured faculty in its history.
- Cal Black Alumni have given $75,000 for black student scholarships this year.
- The thirty black scholarship students have a 3.3 GPA (vs. 2.9 for all black students).
- The Black Student Union has achieved a unified student voice on campus.
Cal Black Alumni can have a powerful voice, advocating for black students’ access and success.
Roy Thomas & Barbara Christian Fund
Black Freshmen admits will receive $4,000 scholarships to be renewed for four years, which will reduce their need to work and take on excessive loans. The goal is to gain entrance to a top graduate school and become part of the heritage of giving back to future generations. Students
- Maintain a minimum 3.3 GPA
- SLAS Advisor approve all classes
- Meet regularly with a U.C. Black staff or faculty mentor
- Limit extra-curricular activities and work to 10 hours per week
Please contribute via credit card “Donate Now” or check to: Stiles Hall-Roy Thomas and Barbara Christian Fund, 2400 Bancroft Way Berkeley, CA 94704.
Board of Directors
Dan Boggan, President
CA Endowment Board, past NCAA VP, Vice Chancellor of Business, Berkeley City Manager
Mike Williams, Vice President
Foundation Trustee, past Vice Chairman Capital Markets Barclays Global Investors
Executive VP & CFO Textainer, past VP Agilent Technologies
Partner Reed Smith, Chair Level Playing Field Board
Partner Meyers Nave, California Fair Political Practices Commission
Deputy to V.P.-Student Affairs;Executive Director, Student Services; Office of the President
Experience Berkeley High School Program Director
Assoc. Professor Education, African American Studies Chair
Graduate Student, Cultural Studies of Sport in Education, three children at Cal
Exec Dir Undergrad Program Haas School of Business, past Operations Mngr, INROADS
U.S. District Court Judge, Justice Department Civil Rights Division’s first black lawyer
Seattle Seahawks running back; Golden Bear’s second all-time career rusher
Congresswoman, past Congressional Black Caucus Chair and Progressive Caucus Chair
Partner Oak Hill Capital, past VP Morgan Stanley Capital
Vice President, DaVita, Inc.
Partner Morrison & Foerster, co-chair of the firm’s Diversity Strategy Committee
Partner Deloitte, past Director National Association of Black Accountants
MD Adolescent Medicine Children’s Hospital, CAA Alumni of the Year
Prof Education NYU, past UCB Director Institute for the Study of Social Change
Partner Nossaman, past Undersecretary California Department of General Services
Vice Chancellor Equity & Inclusion, Professor Astrophysics
Professor African American Studies, past president National Council for Black Studies
AVP Community Engagement AT&T, past Director of Programs HP Corporate Philanthropy
Associate, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, LLP
Karmaloop VP of Business Development
Heckler Sports Co-Founder, PhD Education, Development Director Leadership Excellence
New York City Department of Education, Director of Operations Early Childhood Education